UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE ON LIBRARIES
August 24, 2000
The meeting was called to order at 7:30 a.m. at the Morris Inn by Director of Libraries Jennifer Younger. Also in attendance were Maureen Boulton, Roger Jacobs, Brooke Norton, Owen Phelan, Margaret Porter, Larry Rapagnani, Laurence Taylor, John Weber, observer Joanne Bessler and secretary Melodie Eiteljorge.
The minutes of the meeting of May 11, 2000 were approved as written.
Younger welcomed new members and reviewed the agenda. The first item of business was the election of a chair for the academic year. Though Harvey Bender was unable to attend the meeting, Roger Jacobs nominated him to continue as chair for another term. This was unanimously carried pending his acceptance. (Subsequent to the meeting Professor Bender accepted the office.)
The next agenda item was a schedule for the academic year. After some discussion, it was agreed that the committee will meet on the second Thursday of each month, 7:30 a.m. at the Morris Inn. Thus, the dates are:
Director's Report: Younger reported that the Libraries' new Associate Director for Resources and Collection Services, Gay Dannelly, would begin work at the beginning of September. Dan Marmion, the new Associate Director for Information Systems and Access, has been here since April 1. Joanne Bessler continues as Assistant Director for User Services.
Younger also reported that the Libraries had a presence at the student fair this year for the first time. Bessler added that the new head of instruction, Joni Kanzler, set up a booth. Library staff also provided tours for students and parents over orientation weekend.
The Reference Department has purchased 20 wireless laptop computers for student instruction. The OIT worked with us to set up wireless applications.
Younger also reported that the Libraries will send six people to Cornell to look at digital initiatives there.
We have recently hired Hector Escabar to fill a new librarian-in-residence position. He will begin work in mid September.
Since the last meeting, Younger and Bender have talked about planning a celebration in connection with the upcoming renovation. The University's construction project review committee will meet in mid September to look at the now completed master plan. We hope to begin the renovation in 8-10 months, and it will be a phased project. Bender would like to form a committee and begin planning the celebration while the renovation is in process.
Jacobs asked if the scope of the project will depend on funding. Younger replied that the master plan will serve as a guideline for what can be done initially with the money allocated and where we will go from there. We will begin with the basement, first and second floors, but even that will cost more than we have budgeted at this point.
Younger distributed a handout from the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom, describing a conference to held at McKenna Hall on Tuesday, October 3, 2000. The keynote speaker is Judith Krug, Director of the Office for Intellectual Freedom. Younger invited members of the committee to attend this keynote address, scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Those interested should contact the secretary, Melodie Eiteljorge, who will secure reservations.
The next item of business was a summary of the committee's activities from the past year. Younger provided an outline which members are asked to review. Any questions can be brought to the next meeting.
Younger next provided a handout on library goals for the next year. She noted that the document is a work-in-progress. She will speak to the deans about library directions at their September meeting. She asked for comments and/or questions.
Boulton noted the need for more cross-over and coordination in approval plans. For instance, we receive material in French language and literature, but literary criticism in English in the U.S. is minimal. Neither do we receive much history, which would also be pertinent to the study of French language and literature.
Younger responded that this issue involves both coordination and resources. We have looked at the North American approval plan to consider expanding the profile and have determined that at this time we cannot afford to do everything. Gay Dannelly will be looking at this sort of thing when she arrives. We may not necessarily change the allocation, but other solutions might be possible.
Boulton also suggested an addition to the interlibrary loan (ILL) form: "Should the library try to order this?" Porter agreed that this would be very helpful. Subject librarians review these forms, and this would assist them.
Rapagnani suggested that one issue to highlight might be information literacy. Bessler responded that this is referred to in the statement: "Prepare users to access information in a global context." This broader statement covers several examples, including group-type instruction, reference desk assistance, and service to remote users. Joni Kanzler is examining ways to develop continuous contact with students, including workshops, labs, one-credit classes, and team teaching. We are investigating how students seek information. Kanzler and others are creating packages to help students identify and evaluate information, both library-supplied and other.
Rapagnani stated that he conducted some investigation by visiting dorms and providing pizza. As a result, he determined that students are uninterested in regularly-scheduled classes. They want information as needed. The OIT has thus gone to more Web-based instruction.
Norton observed that for students, particularly Freshmen, seminar classes might be useful, as well as one-credit classes.
Jacobs noted that library instruction is necessarily limited. With so many fields and sources, professors also have a responsibility to lead students to appropriate sources. Boulton added that some professors accept only sources that they have approved. For others, she suggests that we could offer a basic introduction in University seminars, then follow up with a one-credit course in connection with departments, required as part of the major. Younger noted that law and music already require such courses.
Phelan agreed that the options mentioned were promising. However, it is difficult to imagine how they could be integrated into the lives of graduate students. He has found that his best source as a graduate student is other graduate students. As an undergraduate he depended more on library staff. He feels that advertising to graduate students what we have to offer in collaboration with departments might be useful.
Rapagnani noted that the OIT and Shiree Moreland would be willing to participate in any solution.
In looking at the overall document on directions, Weber observed that in business they track through process maps, starting with a mission. This would give direction and also facilitate communicating what the Libraries are about and where they are now. He offered to put together a draft of such a map, using this document as a basis. Younger agreed that this would be useful.
Boulton noted that in some ways the directions are rather generic and much like those of other institutions. Jacobs responded that libraries in different institutions share missions, living in the same age. He agreed with Weber that a visual depiction would be very interesting.
Younger stated that this would be the main agenda item for the next meeting. She will send a draft before that meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:30 a.m.
Return to Director of Libraries Page