Badin Hall was originally constructed in 1897 as St. Joseph's Industrial School. Here, young men trained to be blacksmiths, bricklayers, carpenters, farmers, and tailors.
After an expansion project in 1917, the school became a men's dormitory. It was at this time that St. Joseph's Industrial School was renamed Badin Hall, in honor of Reverend Stephen Badin, the first Catholic priest ordained in the U.S. and the provider of the land where the original Log Cabin stood. It continued as a men’s residence hall until 1972, when Notre Dame became a co-ed institution. Badin Hall was one of the first two residence halls to house women.
Before the Coleman-Morse Center was built in the spring of 2001, the grassy area next to Badin was often referred to as the "Badin Beach" or the "Badin Bog." Badinites used the space to host dance parties while hired bands played on the dorm's balcony, and students were often seen playing "bog ball" and other intramural sports on the muddy field. Even then, Badin was the most hoppin' pad on campus!
In past years, Badin Hall's first floor served as a barbershop, a cafeteria, the campus bookstore, and Campus Ministry's headquarters. It most recently housed the offices for the ACE Program and Student Disability Services. In the summer of 2011, it was converted into a residential area and Badin added 18 more bullfrogs to our pad.
Past residents include Father Hesburgh, Father Malloy, Angelo Bertelli (Heisman Trophy winner), and Alan Page (Supreme Court Justice).
Badin's Bullfrogs are proud of their dorm's history and work to uphold many of the dorm's earliest traditions!