The History of Badin
Badin Hall was originally constructed in 1897 as St. Joseph's Industrial School. Here, young men trained to be blacksmiths, bricklayers, carpenters, farmers, and tailors.
After an expansion project in 1917, the school became a men's dormitory. It was at this time that St. Joseph's Industrial School was renamed Badin Hall (in honor of Reverend Stephen Badin, the first Catholic priest ordained in the U.S. and the provider of the land where the original Log Cabin stood). Badin housed 142 men until 1972, when Notre Dame first admitted women. In fact, Badin Hall was one of the first two residence halls to house women after Notre Dame became a co-ed institution!
Before the Coleman Morse Center was built in Spring 2001, the grassy area next to Badin was often referred to as the "Badin Beach" and the "Badin Bog." Badinites used the space to host dance parties while hired bands played on the dorm's balcony, and students were often seen playing "bog ball" and other intramural sports on the muddy field. Even then, Badin was the most hoppin' pad on campus!
In past years, Badin Hall's first floor served as a barbershop, a cafeteria, the campus bookstore, and Campus Ministry's headquarters. Afterwards, it housed the offices for the ACE Program and Student Disability Services. Now, it has been converted into student housing (with air conditioning!!).
Past residents include Angelo Bertelli (Heisman Trophy winner), Alan Page (Supreme Court Justice), Father Hesburgh, and Father Malloy.
Badin's Bullfrogs are proud of their dorm's history and work to uphold many of the dorm's earliest traditions!