Bohn Group Alumni
The following is a list of students, postdoctoral associates, and visiting scientists who have worked in our laboratory, along with their current place of employment.
- Barrett K. Duan, Studies of Metal/Gallium Nitride Gas Sensors: Sensing Response, Morphology and Sensing Applications, Ph.D. 2012 (Tufts University).
- M. Windy McNerney, No Stressing About Memory: An Investigation of Allopregnanolone and Nitric Oxide on Long-Term Potentiation, Ph.D. (Psychology) 2012 (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA).
- Sean Branagan, Nanoporous Metallic Films in Micro-Nanofluidic Structures, Ph.D. 2012 (Notre Dame).
- Lindsay C.C. Elliott, Single Molecule Tracking Studies of Lower Critical Solution Temperature Transition Behavior in Poly(N-Isopropylacrylamide), Ph.D. 2011 (NIST, Gaithersburg, MD).
- Travis L. King, Fabrication, Metrology, and Transport Characterization of Single Polymeric Nanopores in Three-Dimensional Hybrid Microfluidic/Nanofluidic Devices, Ph.D. 2009. (ERDC-CERL, Champaign, IL).
- Ishika Lokuge, Nanoscale Hydrogel Films and Polymer Brushes Grafted onto Nanocapillary Array Membranes for Externally Controllable Size-Selective Molecular Transport, Ph.D. 2006. (Exova Inc., Los Angeles, CA).
- Soma Chattopadhyay, Material Characterization, Patterning and Adsorbate-Induced Modulation of Light Emission of Porous Silicon Produced by Metal-Assisted Electroless Etching, Ph.D. 2006 (University of Wisconsin-Platteville).
- John S. Kirk, VIII, Colloidal Gold as Molecular Capture Devices in Hybrid Nano/Microfluidic Systems for Mass-Limited Sample Analysis, Ph.D. 2005. (University of Wisconsin-Stout).
- Todd L. Williamson, Porous Gallium Nitride Generated by Electroless Etching: Morphology Optical Properties and Sensing Applications, Ph.D. 2005. (Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM).
- Lt. Colonel Patrick J. Castle, USAF, Sensing Molecular Adsorption Through Interfacial Electron Scattering in Atom-Scale Junctions, Ph.D. 2005 (Scott AFB, Illinois).
- Lt. Colonel Tilghman L. Rittenhouse, USAF, Formation of Porous Silicon Carbide and its Suitability as a Chemical and Temperature Detector, Ph.D. 2004 (USAFE, Ramstein, Germany).
- Amy L. Swint, In-Plane Conductance of Thin Films as a Probe of Surface Chemical Environment: Adsorbate Effects on Film Electronic Properties of Indium Tin Oxide and Gold, Ph.D. 2003.
- Susan P. Oxley, Covalent Tagging of Surface Composition Gradients with Polystyrene Nanospheres and the Extracellular Matrix Protein Fibronectin for the Study of Cellular Migration, Ph.D. 2003 (St. Mary's University, San Antonio, TX).
- Karin M. Balss, Dynamic In-Plane PotentialGradients for Actively Controlling Electrochemical Reactions, Ph.D. 2002 (Cordis Corporation, Johnson & Johnson).
- Matthew A. Jones, Potential-Dependent Adsorption and Reorientation Events Associated with a Planar Phospholipid Monolayer at the Water-Dichloroethane Interface, Ph.D. 2001.
- Amy. L. Lusk (Weinheimer), Spectral and Spatial Heterogeneity in Molecular Assemblies of Amino Styryl Pyridinium Dyes, Ph.D. 2000.
- Troy A. Tanzer, Near-surface electronic structure on InAs(100) modified with self-assembled monolayers of alkanethiols, Ph.D. 1999. (GlobalFoundries).
- Yumo Zhang, Studies of Structure and Reactivity in Monolayer Assemblies. 1. Ozonolysis of Alkanethiolate Self-Assembled Monolayers on Au. 2. In-Plane Resistivity of Ultrathin Au Films as a High Sensitivity, Molecularly Differentiated Probe of Chemisorption at the Liquid-Metal Interface, Ph.D. 1999 (Unilever).
- Christine M. Finnie, Near-Field Scanning Optical Microscopy: Instrument Engineering and the Investigation of Porous Gallium Arsenide Structure-Property Relationships, Ph.D. 1998.
- Yang Zhang, Structural Characterization of Sulfur-Based Monomolecular Thin Films I. Langmuir-Blodgett Films Derived from Multisulfur Heterocycles II. Second-Harmonic Generation Studies of Alkanethiolates on Ag and Au, Ph.D. 1997. (China National Scientific Instruments & Materials Import-Export Corporation, Beijing, P.R. China).
- Jeffrey F. Dorsten, Spectroscopic Characterization of the Near Surface Electronic Structure of Surface Modified III-V Semiconductors, Ph.D. 1996.
- Phillip A. Drake, Surface-Enhanced Raman and Surface Plasmon Resonance Measurements of Case II Diffusion Events on the Nanometer Length Scale, Ph.D. 1995. (Procter and Gamble, Cincinnati, OH).
- James E. Maslar, Spectroscopic Characterization of Dry Etch-Induced Modification in III-V Semiconductors and Semiconductor Heterostructures, Ph.D. 1993. (National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD).
- Nicholas F. Fell, Jr, Characterization of Diffusion Processes in Thin Polymer Films via Optical Waveguide Techniques, Ph.D. 1993. (U.S. Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD).
- Steven W. Rynders, Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition of Hydrogenated Silicon Carbide Films from Novel Precursors, Ph.D. 1991. (Thatcher Company, Salt Lake City, UT).
- Scott R. Kisting, Optical Properties of III-V Semiconductors, Ph.D. 1991. (Dow Chemical Co., Midland, MI).
- Donald M. Cropek, Orientation in Adsorbate-Adsorbate Complexes Studied by a Waveguide Linear Dichroism Technique, Ph.D. 1991. (U.S. Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, Champaign, IL).
- Dennis J. Walls, Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy at Dielectric Interfaces, Ph.D. 1989. (DuPont, Wilmington, DE).
- Dennis A. Stephens, Enhanced Pathlength Absorption Measurements Using Optical Waveguide Structures, Ph.D. 1988. (Abbott Laboratories, Chicago, IL).
- Daniel R. Miller, Depth Profiling in Thin Films via Waveguide Spectroscopy, Ph.D. 1987. (Dow Chemical Co., Midland, MI).
- Barrett K. Duan, (Ph.D. University of Notre Dame), Chemical Imaging, 8/12 - 10/12.
- Lindsay C. C. Elliott, (Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), Integrated Microfluidics/Plasmonics Sensing, 1/11 - 12/11 (NIST, Gaithersburg, MD).
- Francesca Carpino, (Ph.D. Cleveland State Univ.), Integrated Microfluidics, 3/10 - 11/11.
- Liqiang Chu, (Ph.D. Univ. of Mainz), Integrated Microfluidics, 1/08 – 4/10 (Tianjin Univ. of Science & Technology).
- Ping Shi, (Ph.D. Case Western Reserve Univ.), Atom-Scale Junctions, 12/06 – 10/10 (Atotech, Albany, NY).
- Aigars Piruska, (Ph.D. Univ. of Cincinnati), Integrated Microfluidics, 10/06 – 8/10 (Radboud Univ.).
- Zhen Wang, (Ph.D. Univ. of Alberta), Integrated Microfluidics, 1/07 – 9/09.
- Guoguang Qian, (Ph.D. Univ. of Science and Technology of China), Atom-Scale Junctions, 6/05 - 6/07 (RPI, Troy, NY).
- Jing Yang, (Ph.D., Univ. of Connecticut), Molecular Gates, 10/04 – 7/06 (PharmaForce, Columbus, OH).
- Enid N. Gatimu, (Ph.D. Clark Atlanta Univ.), Molecular Gates, 5/04 - 6/08 (Abbott Laboratories, Chicago, IL).
- Xuejun Wang, (Ph.D. Univ. of Notre Dame), Molecular Gradients, 6/05 - 6/07 (Nalco Chemical Co., Wheaton, IL).
- Kris (Xiaofeng) Wang, (Ph.D., University of Toronto), Molecular Gates, 5/05 – 7/06 (Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Lexington, MA).
- Keqing Fa, (Ph.D., University of Utah), Molecular Gates, 6/04 – 5/06 (BASF, Tarrytown, NY).
- Carla Swearingen, (Ph.D. Loyola Univ.), Molecular Gates, 9/02 – 6/05 (John Brown Univ., Siloam Springs, AR).
- Qian Wang, (Ph.D., Beijing University), Artificial Chemotaxis, 3/02 – 5/06 (Unilever, Chicago, IL).
- Joseph J. Tulock, (Ph.D. Michigan State Univ.), Molecular Gates, 8/01 – 7/04 (Emergent BioSolutions, Lansing, MI).
- Diego J. Díaz, (Ph.D. Cornell Univ.), Porous Wide Bandgap Semiconductors, 7/01 – 6/05 (Valencia College, Orlando, FL).
- Donald M. Cannon, Jr. (Ph.D. Pennsylvania State Univ.), Biofluidic Intelligent Processors, 11/00 – 7/04 (Genencor, Cedar Rapids, IA).
- Brian D. Coleman, (Ph.D. Univ. of Kansas), Artificial Chemotaxis, 6/00–9/04 (Sigma-Aldrich, St. Louis, MO).
- Tzu-chi Kuo, (Ohio State Univ.), Molecular Gates, 8/99 – 10/02 (Dow Chemical Co.).
- Wenju Feng, (Ph.D. Case Western Reserve University), Molecular Gates, 8/99 – 9/01.
- Glenn A. Fried, (Ph.D. New Mexico State Univ.), 5/98 - 12/99 (Institute for Genomic Biology, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana, IL).
- Paula J. Kemery, (Ph.D. Univ. of Arizona), Organic Thin Films, 7/96 - 6/98 (Procter and Gamble, Cincinnati, OH).
- Roger H. Terrill, (Ph.D. Univ. of North Carolina), Organic Thin Films, 8/95 - 7/98 (San Jose State Univ., San Jose, CA).
- Pamela R. Fischer, (Ph.D. Univ. of Oregon), Organic Thin Films, 7/95 - 6/97 (ASM International, Portland, OR).
- Millicent A. Firestone, (Ph.D. Northwestern Univ.), Biomolecular Electronics, 1/94 - 1/96 (Staff Scientist, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL).
- Quan Song, (Ph.D. Michigan State Univ.), Organic Thin Films, 6/92 - 8/95 (Soliant, Charlotte, NC).
- Wenyuan Lu, (Ph.D. Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Organic Thin Films, 5/92 - 6/95 (Beckman Coulter, Chaska, MN).
- Zhi Xu, (Ph.D. Univ. of Pittsburgh), Solid-Liquid Interfaces, 11/91 - 6/94 (University of Missouri-St. Louis).
- Hun-Gi Hong, (Ph.D. Univ. of Texas-Austin), Biomolecular Electronics, 8/91 - 2/93 (Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea).
- Christine E. Evans, (Ph.D. Michigan State Univ.), Organic Thin Films, 2/91 - 6/93 (C&J Technologies, Portland, OR).
- Jill M. Olinger, (Ph.D. Univ. of California-Riverside), Biomolecular Electronics, 9/89 - 7/91 (Eli Lilly & Co., Indianapolis, IN).
- Kenneth D. Hughes, (Ph.D. Purdue Univ.), Biomembrane Superlattices, 5/89 - 7/91.
- Xuewen Geng, Research Visitor, 9/10 - 3/12 (Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, PROC).
- Hsin-Yu Lin, Research Visitor, 3/09 - 9/09 (National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan).
- Micheál Scanlon, Research Visitor, 9/08 - 11/08 (Tyndall National Institute, Cork, Ireland).
- Jack Steehler, Visiting Professor, Organic Thin Films, 6/92 - 8/92, 8/95 - 7/96 (Roanoke College, Salem, VA).
- Xiuling Li, Research Assistant Professor, NSOM/Optical Semiconductors, 7/98 - 3/01 (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UIUC, Champaign, IL).
- Jingying Zhang, M.S. 2012.
- Maj. Jeffrey A. Finch, USAF M.S. 2004 (Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH).
- Lisa Page (Sloan), M.S. 2000 (Washington State Univ., Pullman, WA).
- Sharon Y. Lau, M.S. 1994 (Hitachi Instruments, Parsippany, NJ).
- Susan T. Wollman, M.S. 1992.