National Science Foundation
Graduate Research Fellowship Program
Program Summary: $30,000/year for up to 3 years of research-based study leading to a MS or PhD in
science, engineering, social science, or STEM education.
Official Websites: http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=6201 (official solicitation)
http://www.nsfgrfp.org (important resource for applicants and recommenders)
Recommenders: Official NSF Advice for GRFP Letters of Recommendation; Further Advice (from an experienced fellowship advisor, courtesy of Penn State, which includes samples)
What is the NSF GRFP?
From the program's website: The NSF GRFP helps ensure the vitality of the human resource base of science and engineering in the United States and reinforces its diversity. The program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees at accredited US institutions. The NSF welcomes applications from all qualified students and strongly encourages under-represented populations, including women, under-represented racial and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities, to apply for this fellowship.
Who can apply for the NSF GRFP?
To be eligible, you must:
1. Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident
2. Intend to pursue a research-based Master's or Ph.D. program in an NSF-supported field
3. Have completed no more than twelve months of full-time graduate study
Date & Time
|Workshop Series||9/11, 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9||
More info here (PDF).
You Must RSVP (See here)
CUSE (110 Brownson)
|Application Feedback Deadline||
10/16/14, 12:00 noon
|Final Deadlines (varies by field of study)||
10/29, 10/30, 11/3, 11/4
All online sessions can be accessed at: https://www.youtube.com/user/NDFellowships
We recommend that you attend the Workshop Series AND the Application Workshop, if possible. These are not run by CUSE, but undergraduates are welcome, and you will find the advice invaluable.
What are my next steps if I want to learn more and/or am thinking about applying?
1. Download the Information sheet (PDF)
2. Attend/view an information session (see above).
3. RSVP for the Workshop Series and/or Application Workshop, if you are able to attend (see above for more information).
5. Submit drafts of your application to email@example.com by one or both of the Application Feedback deadlines.