Home | Education | My Work | Links | CV | Contact me
University of Notre Dame, Institute for Latino Studies (ILS), Notre Dame, IN 46530
- Develop and write grant proposals to research the state of Latinos in Indiana
- Research in labor market, migration, demography and health of Latinos in Indiana and Chicago
- Collaborate in research projects that target Latinos in the Midwest
The World Bank, Gender and Development Unit (PRMGE), Washington, D.C., 2005–2007
- Research in labor markets, education and demographics to produce background papers for regional clients.
- Compute statistics on education, labor market, health, and population outcomes from raw data from censuses, health and demography surveys, LSMS and standard databases.
- Revise, propose and monitor indicators for the gender component of the Country Policy and Institutional Assessment (CPIA) for 2005 and 2006
- Gather and map statistics coming from censuses and other sources on migration stock and flows by gender.
AIR, Education Statistics Services Institute (ESSI), Washington, D.C., 2004–2005
- Prepared statistical reports on international assessment surveys.
- Coordinated and managed a project that produces indicators from the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS).
- Conducted research on international comparative education.
Educational Testing Service (ETS), Princeton, New Jersey, 2003
- Gathered information about the educational systems of fifteen developing countries.
- Synthesized information and created summary reports for each country.
- Collaborated in designing the framework for the reports.
Office of Population Research-OPR, Princeton, New Jersey, summers 2002, 2003
- Estimated econometrics models using micro-data for better understanding of social issues that involved several relationships of socio-economic variables.
- Designed and developed customized STATA commands, increasing speed and efficiency of raw data manipulation for analysis and estimations.
Child Labor and School Attendance of Urban Colombian Youth and Children
- Principal investigator in project, selected by competition to participate in a second year of “Formation of Young Researchers” program.
- Developed methodology and analysis of national household survey for Colombia.
- Wrote research paper published as part of collection of papers for “Formation of Young Researchers” program.
Migration into Boom Oil Exploitation Zones: The Cases of Yopal, Aguazul and Tauramena cities
- Prepared data files for analysis from Census and survey data.
- Estimated statistical model of survival analysis of the duration of unemployment.
- Analyzed geographical data (GIS) on environmental effects in high migration areas.
- Wrote project report on poverty, migration and environment; and co-authored report on typology of migrants, labor mobility and unemployment duration.
Professor for in Microeconomics; Principles on Macroeconomics; Econometrics; Statistics.
- The Impact of Remittances and Gender on Household Expenditure Patterns: Evidence from Ghana. (2007). Chapter in Book. Gender and Migration. PRMGE and DEC. (With Andrew Morrison, and Mirja Sjoblom)
- Gender Shapes Adolescents (June 2007). Development Outreach. World Bank. (With Mayra Buvinic, and Cynthia B. Lloyd)
- Gender, Entrepreneurship, and Competitiveness in Africa. (2007) Chapter in book: Africa Competitiveness Report 2007 (With Elena Bardasi and Mark Blackden).
- Highlights from the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) 2003. (NCES 2005-005) U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office (co-author)
- “The Surprising Global Variation in Replacement Fertility”. (2003). Population Research and Policy Review 22(5-6) 575–583 (co-author)
- “Poverty: Labor Participation and School Attendance. Children and Young People in Urban Colombia” (in Spanish) Chapter in book: Formación de Investigadores Jovenes – II. Dinámicas de la Realidad Social Colombiana. Elssy Bonilla (Editor). Bogota: TM Editores, 2000
- “Entrance into the Labor Market in Cities Close to Petroleum Extraction Centers in Casanare” (in Spanish). Documento CEDE. Bogotá: CEDE,1999 (co-author)
- “Impact of the Migration on Poverty and Quality of Life in Yopal, Aguazul and Tauramena Cities”. (in Spanish) Document CEDE 98 -20. Bogotá: CEDE, 1998 (co-author)