The AR's Equity Policy is based on NCTE's guidelines for the involvement of people of color. NCTE's policy focuses on "people of color" in reference to historically underrepresented racial groups, including African Americans, Native Americans, Asian Americans, and Latino/as. Our equity policy includes these groups also extends to other historically underrepresented groups, including but not limited to rural educators, people of faith, gay/lesbian educators, citizens of countries other than the United States, and (in research circles) K-12 teachers. The Assembly for Research seeks and endeavors:
1. to include people of historically underrepresented groups on all appointed commissions, boards, committees, task forces, and other official groups;
2. to include people of historically underrepresented groups among the nominees presented by each nominating committee;
3. to include in NCTE conventions and workshop sessions dealing with interests of people of historically underrepresented groups and using as leaders or consultants practicing teachers of historically underrepresented groups from the levels of instruction concerned;
4. to include people of historically underrepresented groups in verbal and visual materials intended to represent or describe NCTE;
5. to include people of historically underrepresented groups as targeted groups in any recruiting efforts.
The intent of this policy should not be construed to mean every subcommittee within a commission, board, committee, task force, or other official group.