The federal Animal Welfare Act (administered by the USDA) and regulations of the Department of Health and Human Services (including PHS) require training and continuing education for all scientists, research technicians, and animal care technicians and others involved with animal care and use. These laws and regulations require that the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) as an agent of the University of Notre Dame, determine that personnel wishing to conduct procedures on animals or animal tissues are qualified and trained to do so on the animal species proposed. To fulfill this responsibility, the following mandatory training program has been developed.
All staff, faculty and students that are involved in the care or use of animals for research, utilizing animal tissues or listed on an animal protocol at the University of Notre Dame are required to participate in the Introductory Training Program. This web based training is available at www.aalaslearninglibrary.org. Please follow the instructions below to ensure your training is documented.
NOTICE: As of March 18, 2012 all training documentation must be through ALL online with a registered account. No paper print outs or e-mail submissions will be accepted. Contact V. Schroeder at Schroeder.email@example.com for your account login and password.
1. Contact V. Schroeder at Schroeder.firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
Name (First, Last, Middle Initial)
UND ID (ex. jdoe3)
UND email address
PI lab (ex. Dr. Rex Arthur)
2. Login and temporary passwords will typically be assigned within 3 business days. You may change your password. DO NOT change your login in ID
3. Your login ID and password will be sent to the email address you provide. This ID is specific to you. All modules accessed with your login will be scored and attributed to you. No one can receive credit or document training except the individual listed on the account.
4. Training documentation will be accessible to the IACUC, Training Coordinator and individual account holder.
5. The IACUC will verify training when animal use protocols and personnel amendments are reviewed.
1. Go to www.aalaslearninglibrary.org
2. Enter your Login and Password
3. First Time User Instructions:
A. Select Personal Access on the right of the screen.
B. Select Change Login.
C. Change password to something you can remember. DO NOT change your User name!
E. Select My Profile
F. This may be partially completed. Make changes for accuracy.
4. Select from the menu bar Libraries: Animal Care and Use Courses. Courses are by category. Select All Courses.
5. Select the category and then the specific course(s) as dictated by animal use.
Required of all persons listed on an animal use protocol:
Regulatory and IACUC Compliance: Working with the IACUC
Required for all persons using Mice, Rats, Hamsters, Gerbils, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits, Frogs
Introduction to Research Animal Methodologies: Introduction to (insert species)
Required for all persons using Zebrafish:
Aquatics Biomethodology Courses: Working with Laboratory Zebrafish
Required for all persons performing Euthanasia:
US Mandates and Guidelines: Euthanasia of Research Animals AVMA Guidelines
Required for all persons performing Rodent Surgery:
Aseptic Technique for Rodent Survival Surgery
Required for all persons performing Survival Rodent Surgery:
Anesthesia and Analgesia: Post-procedure Care of Mice and Rats in Research – Minimizing Pain and Distress
Required for all persons using NHP:
Non Human Primates Course: Working Safely with Non-Human Primates
6. After selecting the course you will see a screen listing the table of contents for the course. Go to the bottom of the page and select “course”. You are now at the course index. The course menu is on the Left side of the screen. Begin by selecting 1. Introduction.
7. View all lessons and complete all practice questions menu at bottom of page. These will appear on the final exam.
8. Generate the final exam. Read all instructions carefully. Some questions have multiple correct answers.
9. Complete and submit the final exam. You will get your score along with an instant Pass/Fail notification.
Forgotten Login and Password Recovery
you forget your login or password, contact V. Schroeder at Schroeder.email@example.com.
Your login and password will be emailed to you
at the email address provided at registration.
If you need assistance or have any question, please contact Valerie Schroeder by email, or call 631-6087 or visit Freimann Life Science Center room 400.
For instructions on accessing and documenting online training click on the button below: