Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
Adapted from Jonathan Franklin and Carissa Vogel?s research guide ?Islamic Law Resources at the Gallagher Law Library? at the University of Washington.
Islam for Today
- "For Westerners seeking a knowledge and understanding of Islam. A guide to the religion of Islam, Muslim history and civilizations, the rights
of women in Islam, Islam in the West and around the world today plus Muslim
schools and family life."
Islam: A Primer
- A 6-page introduction prepared for members of Congress
by the Congressional Research Service.
Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World, BP 40
.E525 2004 at Hesburgh Reference [1st Floor] General
Library of Congress, Federal Research Division, Women
in Islamic Societies: A Selected Review of Social
Scientific Literature (Nov. 2005).
- A 122-page report with an extensive bibliography.
John Makdisi and Marianne Makdisi, Islamic
Law Bibliography: Revised and Updated List of Secondary
Law Lib. J. 69 (1995).
Dispensing Justice in Islam : Qadis and Their
Judgements (Muhammad Khalid Masud, Rudolph Peters & David S. Powers eds., 2006). KBP1610 .D57 2006
Islamic Law and Jurisprudence (Nicholas Heer ed., 1990). KBP15 .I853 1990
Islamic Law and Legal Theory (Ian Edge ed., 1996). KBP440.3 .I75 1996
Jamila Hussain, Islamic Law and Society : an Introduction (1999). KBP173.25 .H87
Mohammad Hashim Kamali, Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence (2003). KBP144 .K36
Martin Lau, The Role of Islam in the Legal system of Pakistan (2006). KPL469.5 .L38 2006
Bernard G. Weiss, The Spirit of Islamic Law / Bernard G. Weiss (1998). KBP144. W45 1998
Arab Law Quarterly, available on HeinOnline
Journal of Middle East Studies via
Islamic Law & Society, available on HeinOnline
The Journal of Islamic Law, available on HeinOnline
The Journal of Islamic Law & Culture, available
on HeinOnline (continuation of previous title under new name)
Islamic Law Resources Online:
Association of American Law Schools, Workshop on Islamic Law (2004). Contains bibliographies, papers, and a glossary of Islamic legal terms.
of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law of the School
of Oriental and African Studies, Islamic and
Middle Eastern Law Materials on the Net.
- Includes a bibliography of legal resources (some
full-text) available online,
- links to academic courses in Islamic and Middle
Eastern law, periodicals and other websites, and
an index by country.
- Includes reading lists ?for the beginner? and also ?for a course in Islamic and Middle Eastern Law, by topic.?
Globalex, A Guide to the Legal System of the Islamic Republic of Iran
Globalex, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Legal System and Research
Lex Mercatoria, Islamic and International Law
LLRX, Finding the Law: Islamic Law (Sharia)
Databases and other Electronic Resources:
Religion Database Coverage: 1949-
- Comprehensive online database supporting religious
scholarship in graduate education and faculty research.
- Compilation of three print indexes: Religion Index
One: Periodicals (RIO),
- Religion Index Two: Multi-Author Works (RIT), and
Index to Book Reviews in Religion (IBBR).
- Provides citations on such topics as Biblical studies,
world religions, Church
history and religious perspectives on social issues.
- Includes links to 50+ online full-text scholarly
religion periodicals in the ATLAS (American Theological
Library Association Serials) project.
Academic ASAP Coverage: 1980-
- Provides indexing, abstracts, and selected full
text for 3,500+ scholarly
journals and general interest periodicals embracing
all academic disciplines
(citations only for The New York Times).
- Full text for some titles may be subject to publisher-imposed
- Usage info: Licensed for 5 simultaneous users!
- “Islamic Law” is a useful subject heading!
Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals - Coverage: 1985-
- This is a multilingual index to articles and book reviews published worldwide.
- Analyzes the contents of legal essays, festschrifts, melanges, and congress reports.
- Covers international (public and private), comparative, and municipal law of countries other than the United States, the U.K., Canada, and Australia.
Islamicus Coverage: 1906 -
- Index to literature on Islam, the Middle East and Muslim areas of Asia and
Africa, and Muslim minorities elsewhere.
- Includes citations to 2,000+ journals, conference proceedings, monographs,
and book reviews from 1906. Accompanied by printed user guide.
International Coverage: 1915-
- Contains citations and abstracts to print and electronic
articles, books, and
government publications on issues of public policy,
including politics, government, economy, marine policy,