Medical Care

If you are ill, please contact the Rector on duty between 5pm and 9am, or the LUP Office between 9am and 5pm.

    The Rectors and the Program Office have up to date information about how you can make an appointment with a doctor.

    If you are missing class due to illness, you should also contact the LUP Office, by phone (020 74847811) or by email (

    The emergency phone number for the UK is 999. If you need to go to hospital, always make sure that the Rector on duty knows what has happened.

    The nearest Accident & Emergency Department (ER) to Conway Hall is at St. Thomas' Hospital on Westminster Bridge Road (Tel: 020 7188 7188)."

    As a Notre Dame study abroad student, you are enrolled in HTH Worldwide insurance, which will cover most non-emergency medical treatment that you need outside of the US, as long as you visit participating health-care providers.

    To make an appointment with a participating provider, students should contact the HTH Global Health hotline on 00 1 610 254 8771. All calls are free of charge.

    For further details, including names and contact information for specialist medical providers, please see the HTH Website (, or contact the Rector on duty.

    Pharmacies (or “chemists”) are one of the best resources in the UK for the treatment of minor ailments and illnesses. The most popular chain is Boots (think CVS or Walgreens in the US), which has stores on Lower Marsh, in Waterloo Station, Charing Cross Station, and on the Strand between Charing Cross and Trafalgar Square.

    At the prescription counter you can talk to a qualified pharmacist and receive advice on over-the-counter medicines. Only doctors can issue prescriptions, but pharmacists can give extremely helpful advice, particularly if you’re not sure whether or not you need to see a doctor. They can also sell stronger medicines than you’ll find on the open shelves.


    For the record – as you know, some things are referred to by different names in the UK and US. Band Aids, for instance, are known as ‘plasters’ here. Quite a few drugs are also known by different names. For example, acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) is called paracetamol in the UK. Ask a pharmacist or the doctor who’s seeing you. HTH worldwide’s mPassport iPhone app also has a translation feature for names of drugs.

    There are two HTH approved dentists in central London:

    Norman Bloom, BDS(LON), LDS, RCS(Eng)
    31 Queen Anne Street
    London  W1G 9HX
    Phone: 020.7580.2193
    Mobile: 07990.6424.75

    Michael Carling, BDS
    72 Harley Street
    London  W1G 7HG
    Phone: 020.7580.3168

    The Rectors and the Program Office have up to date information about how you can make an appointment with a doctor.