Employee Educational Benefits
GENERAL INFORMATION REGARDING USING YOUR EMPLOYEE/SPOUSE TUITION BENEFIT
Many courses have restrictions placed on them which may require you to contact the department in advance for approval to enroll in the course. You can review course information, meeting times, and restriction information online at Class Search.
Course Attendance, Participation, and Auditing
By enrolling in a course, the expectation will be that you participate in all aspects of the class. Course attendance, coursework, and finals will likely be a part of your work. While you may elect to audit the course, the same level of participation will be expected.
Auditing a Class
Auditing a class simply means that you will not receive a grade for the class at the end of the semester. After you web register for the class through insideND, you will need to request that your class instructor email our office to authorize your auditing of the class. You will be charged the same tuition rate regardless if you audit or receive credit for the coursework. Our office would then change the grade mode to an “audit” status.
Tuition remission may be considered a taxable benefit. This is determined by the Payment Services Office based on the information submitted to Human Resources. If it is determined that the course is a taxable benefit, the appropriate taxes will be withheld on your paycheck.
Once you have registered for the course and completed ND roll call, you will receive a billing statement from Student Accounts for all charges which may include any fees associated with this class. You will be billed for all academic-year courses regardless of your intent to either audit or if you will receive a grade in the class. For more information regarding charges, call Student Accounts at 1-7113. Identify yourself as a Notre Dame employee in a non-degree seeking class.
Step 1 – Obtaining Approval of Human Resources to Receive the Employee Tuition Benefit
Visit the Human Resources website to complete the Non-Degree or Degree seeking tuition benefit form.
Step 2 – Registering for your Course
- You will need the CRN (course reference number) for registration and department approvals. You can find your CRN on Class Search
- Obtain departmental approval if required for your selected course by contacting the department offering the course.
- You will receive an email from the Registrar’s Office letting you know your registration time ticket
- When you are ready to register, log on to insideND using your Notre Dame netID and password. (If you do not already have a netID, you can retrieve one by clicking on “Get your netID” at the insideND web address. For forgotten or lost passwords, you must visit the OIT Help Desk at 128 DeBartolo Hall and present a photo id card.)
- Click on the Student Academic Tab and navigate to the Student Academic Services channel
- Expand the Registration (DART) link and select Add/Drop a class
- Select the appropriate term from the drop-down menu and click Submit
- Enter the CRN of the course at the bottom of the registration worksheet screen and click Submit
STEP 3 – Completing ND Roll Call
- In your email from the Registrar’s Office, you will be informed of the time period in which you must complete ND Roll Call. During this time window, you must log on to insideND again to complete ND Roll Call
- Click on the Student Academic Tab and locate the Student Academic Services Channel
- Click on the ND Roll Call link and the “I am verifying my attendance…”option
- Follow the screens through to the end and click on Submit.
- You will receive a confirmation page that acknowledges you are enrolled for the semester
If you have questions applying for the employee/spouse tuition benefits, please visit the Human Resources website.
If you have questions regarding registration for classes as a non-degree employee, retiree, or spouse, please email email@example.com or call 574-631-1335