Where is NSBE headed? The National Directives of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) is the yearly focus of how the serving National Executive Board plans to accomplish the goals of the National Strategic Planand ultimately the National Long range Plan. These directives will be followed by the regions and implemented by the chapters.
Increase the number of pre-college students on track to become engineers.
Academic Excellence: Increase academic performance and engineering retention rates of NSBE members.
Professional Branding: Enhance the value proposition for NSBE professional membership.
Calvin Allen Young
NSBE National Chairperson
"If you're not measuring results you're probably not achieving any."
Strategic Goal 1: Attain academic excellence through the setting of measurable goals by the end of FY 2013; and the achievement of incremental progress by the end of FY 2014, toward the ultimate goal of parity in academic success.
- Strategic Objective 1.1: Establish a baseline by identifying and collecting the data necessary to measure, monitor and target intervention toward the academic achievement of African American engineering students, particularly that of NSBE members by the end of FY 2013.
- Strategic Objective 1.2: Set measurable and achievable goals for incremental progress toward parity in academic success by the end of FY 2014.
- Strategic Objective 1.3: Assess the success of existing programs (e.g. the Retention program) against baseline data by the end of FY 2014.
- Strategic Objective 1.4: Modify existing programs and where necessary, identify, plan and execute new programs and services by the end of FY 2014 that will help to eventually achieve parity in academic success.
Strategic Goal 2: Enhance the development of the pipeline for Black engineers by focusing on NSBE's existing portfolio of Pre-College Initiative (PCI) programs, assessing their effectiveness, rebalancing the portfolio as necessary, and ensuring that recommended changes are adopted appropriately into NSBE operations by the end of FY 2014.
- Strategic Objective 2.1: Identify the process for strategic PCI program assessment by the end of FY 2012.
- Strategic Objective 2.2:Define the metrics to be used in the assessment of PCI programs by the end of FY 2012.
- Strategic Objective 2.3: Assess existing PCI programming by the end of FY'2013.
- Strategic Objective 2.4: Make adjustments and changes to PCI programming pursuant to the results of program assessment by the end of FY 2013.
- Strategic Objective 2.5: Make operational adjustments as necessary to accommodate the repositioning of the PCI portfolio by the end of FY 2013.
Strategic Goal 3: Engage engineering alumni and technical professionals in a way that will result in their retention and involvement in significantly larger numbers in the life of NSBE by the end of FY 2014.
- Strategic Objective 3.1: Retain at least 70% of graduating collegiate members in their second year and beyond by the end of FY 2014.
- Strategic Objective 3.2: Engage at least 50% of identified Black STEM professionals in the life of NSBE by the end of FY 2014.
- Strategic Objective 3.3:Recapture at least 75% of former NSBE professional members by the end of FY 2014.