- Anxiety sets in for season opener By BRIAN KESSLER
The Eddie Robinson Classic will offer head coach Bob Davie a chance Saturday to see just where his 18th-ranked Irish team stands.
- Hill, Fulton soar in Jayhawk passing attack By MIKE CONNOLLY
In a Big 12 Conference dominated by power running games and option attacks, the Kansas Jayhawks feature an aerial attack and a pair of talented receivers.
- Irish must learn to play like
champions Anthony Bianco
’66, ’77, ’88. With a $30,000 education, Notre Dame students prove they can count by 11.
- Kansas should forget Notre Dame history Jason Feckner
Saturday, Kansas’ football team should denounce Catholicism, forget about Touchdown Jesus, and for heaven’s sake, not rent a video at Blockbuster.
- Irish hope four backs are key to ’99 Final Four By MIKE CONNOLLY
An old adage says “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
- Top-finisher Yarello returns to lead Saint Mary’s pack By KATIE McVOY
On the field and off, junior Genevieve Yavello is looked to for leadership, experience, strength, and support.
- Brown changes setbacks into success By TIM CASEY
It didn’t take long for Bobby Brown to make his college decision.
- Save your antagonism for Michigan Mike Connolly
Walking around campus this week, I have noticed the usual humorous T-shirts poking fun at life under the Dome and the beverages that are consumed.
- My Summer Vacation at the White House By: GARY CARUSO
Thirty years ago this week, I walked out of Lyons Hall for my first stroll across campus as a Notre Dame freshman. Full of confidence and youthful pride, I passed through the Howard arch, made a few turns and promptly got lost. It took me an hour to find Lyons, and it took at least a month to regain my confidence.
- SMC still strong Editorial
The banner proclaiming “Bravo!” in front of Saint Mary’s College won’t be replaced this year by one boasting six-straight No. 1 titles.
- Putting Violence in Context By: CHARLES RICE
“Our children need our help to deal with tough issues, like violence. Please, talk with your kids,” said President Clinton in a recent TV spot. But what are the parents supposed to say?
- Board approves Master Plan for campus expansion Observer Staff Report
Final preparations for campus expansion are around the bend for Saint Mary’s after the Board of Trustees approved a Master Plan for campus expansion at its June 26 retreat.
- University faces potential violation in Dunbar case By ERICA THESING
When Notre Dame appeared before the NCAA Committee on Infractions June 4, the University and athletic association gave indications the Kimberly Dunbar matter would be resolved in four to six weeks.
- DuBose inquiry continues By CHRISTINE KRALY
In a shooting still under investigation, former Irish football captain Demetrius DuBose was killed July 24 in San Diego during an altercation with police officers responding to a burglary call.
- ND administration prohibits gay ads By Tim Logan
The University has set forth a new advertising policy for The Observer which specifically bans acceptance of advertisements from Gay and Lesbian Alumni of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s (GALA-ND/SMC) and prohibits ads from “outside groups that, directly or indirectly, espouse positions contrary to the teachings of the Catholic Church.”
- Man exposes self to female jogger Noreen Gillespie
An unidentified, naked male allegedly accosted a female student on Notre Dame's campus Thursday evening, Notre Dame Security/Police reported.
- Saint Mary’s, Notre Dame fall in annual college rankings By Matt Smith and Noreen Gillespie
Ending a five-year run as the top-ranked Best Midwest Regional Liberal Arts College by U.S. News and World Report, Saint Mary’s fell to No. 2 in the 2000 rankings.
- Library joins consortium for electronic, collection benefit By MAGGY TINUCCI
The University Libraries have joined a consortium of libraries including Harvard, Yale, Princeton and 14 other universities in the northeastern United States.
- Ristau takes reins as new Dean By NELLIE WILLIAMS
Karen Ristau has assumed the position of vice president and Dean of Faculty of Saint Mary’s, replacing Dorothy Feigl who retired in May.
- Shirt sales may bring students more money By JOSHUA BOURGEOIS
Student Senate will vote today on a resolution which could enable Student Union to make more money selling The Shirt.