- While you were sleeping By TIM LOGAN
Early Saturday morning, while all the good Domers were asleep, a menace was let loose upon the Notre Dame community.
- Four Views and an Occasional Point BY: Kate Rowland
As part of my ongoing effort to increase the number of deadlines in my life, I have obtained a position as a Viewpoint columnist. One thing sort of scares me about this: getting the job done would require me to, every week, invent and submit an 800-word-long column containing, presumably, both a view and point. The view I can always manage to crank out. The point I'm not so sure.
- Ban on gay ads is outrageous, immoral BY: Jay Johnson
The recent attack on gays and lesbians by the University administration with regards to "gay ads" is more than outrageous — it is criminal and immoral.
- Security needs to lighten up BY: Jeremy Joslin
I would personally like to thank campus security for their quick response to the rowdy crowd of Siegfried men who were rambling around campus as early as 6 a.m. Saturday morning.
- Hard work should not be source of embarrassment BY: Carrie Leonard
Being a 17-year-old Niles High senior and interested in going on to your university, I was reading The Observer that my mother brought home.
- ND contract with UA Telescope disheartening BY: Charles J. Babbitt
Notre Dame has contracted for six viewing nights per year at the University of Arizona's Large Binocular Telescope (LBT) on Mount Graham at $267,000 per night. The National Optical Astronomy Observatories (NOAO), representing the top U.S. universities, rejected Mt. Graham in 1987 noting that its turbulent, murky, cloud-enshrouded skies had suitable viewing only half of the time.
- New student center takes shape on site of old bookstore MAUREEN SMITHE
A new building on South Quad, in the former location of the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore, will house First Year of Studies, Student Academic Services, Campus Ministry and a satellite office of the Center for Social Concerns.
- ND launches new website By LAURA ROMPF
There's a new style at www.nd.edu, and it reflects the spirit of Notre Dame, according to University Web administrator Tom Monaghan.
- Nugent to lead Human Resources Special to the Observer
Richard F. Nugent Jr., director of employee relations, employment and training and development at Notre Dame, was promoted to assistant vice president for human resources at the University.
- Interest rates may not affect students By ALISON HEINZ
The Federal Reserve Board made the second interest rate hike in less than two months last tuesday.
- 85 succumb to heat during football game Observer staff report
With heat index on the football field reaching higher than 100 degrees, Notre Dame Sports Information reported that 85 spectators suffered from heat-related illness during Saturday's game against Kansas.
- College gets a serving of self-help Mike Vanegas
Entering North or South Dining Hall, one might hope each item on the menu — from angel hair pasta to zucchini — is boiled, baked, fried or steamed with the warmth of caring hands and the compassion of thoughtful eyes reading a recipe book. In some cases, yes, dining hall food is made with good intentions, but what about when personal attention is needed to confront the trauma every college student sufferes on a daily basis?