- ND BASEBALL: Irish upset at the Eck Mainieri stays, Tamayo leaves in eventful summer (By NOAH AMSTADTER Sports Editor)
Following the 1994 season, Pat Murphy resigned as Notre Dame's baseball coach to take the same position at Arizona State.
- Irish upset at the Eck No. 4 FIU tops Notre Dame 5-4 in decisive game 7 (By NOAH AMSTADTER Sports Editor)
Editor's note: In a four-part series, The Observer examines perhaps the successful Irish spring sports season ever. The series continues Wednesday.
- SMC VOLLEYBALL: Belles drop home opener to Bethel (By B.J STREW Sports Writer)
The Belles volleyball team inched toward victory — scoring more points in each of its three games — but never quite earned a win as it fell to Bethel College in Monday night, (30-16, 30-25, and 30-28).
- FOOTBALL: Jones back practicing (By ANDREW SOUKUP Associate Sports Editor)
It was a familiar sight, almost.
- SMC SOCCER: Belles drop 2 close matches in Tennessee (By KATIE McVOY Associate Sports Editor)
The Belles couldn't quite shake the mud off of their shoes this weekend at the Rhodes College tournament in Tennessee, dropping their first two games of the season.
- SMC GOLF: Belles swing into 9th place (By KATIE McVOY Associate Sports Editor)
The Belles golf team started off its season with somewhere to go. Finishing this weekend's Ferris State Tournament in 9th place among a strong field of Division I and II schools, the Belles are looking for a good season.
- Smurfing and the green horn (Laura Rompf Associate News Editor)
This past weekend, I went to Meijer with two friends. As we were walking in, two of us fell a few steps behind the other.
- Administration squelches opportunity for leadership (Charles Rice Right or Wrong?)
"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus." The mountains will be in labor, and will bring forth a ridiculous little mouse.
- Quote of the Day (Theodore Roosevelt president)
- Anna Barbour Get a Life (Don't just swallow luck, work with it )
I believe it was Ricky Martin who said it best when he sang, "If lady luck is on my side, we will rock this town alive." Fortune is a crazy mistress but people still keep going back to her.
- Bush's success hidden behind image (Andrew Whitacre Old Gold and Black)
- Students Grab 'n' Go with mesh bags (By Sarah Baum News Writer)
In an effort to make Notre Dame students more environmentally conscious, reusable mesh Grab 'n' Go bags are being sold for one dollar by the student government office.
- Junior class council plans to act, not talk (By Jason McFarley News Editor)
More programming, less promises.
- Student bikes across U.S. for justice (By Jason McFarley News Editor)
Senior Theresa Ferry this summer participated in a cross-country bike trip that took her and 24 other riders from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. The nine-week trip was part of Bike-Aid, a social education program sponsored by JustAct:Youth Action for Global Justice.
- Sanctions spur petition (By Mary Campe News Writer)
As students were settling into their rooms and learning their new schedules, one Saint Mary's student began her new semester trying to reach out and help those less fortunate across the globe.
- BOG will address academic freedom with ACLU speaker (By Shannon Lynne Nelligan News Writer)
In response to last year's debate surrounding academic freedom, the Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) discussed an upcoming conference in which it feels clarification of academic freedom should be reached.
- The resurgence of rock (Sam Derheimer Assistant Music Editor)
It was a nice run, it really was. After completely dominating the latter half of the '90s and the beginning of the new millennium, pop music proved to be a much worthier adversary than any rocker ever imagined.
- Radiohead's Amnesiac blooms with live guitar and added force (By SAM DERHEIMER Assistant Scene Editor)
By the time Thom Yorke and the rest of Radiohead took stage in Grant Park, a bleak Chicago dusk had already conceded to the night.