Article I. NAME
The name of this club shall be “Organización Latino Americana” (OLA).
Article II. PURPOSE
The purpose of OLA shall be to create an organization to promote understanding of the different cultures of Latin American countries. OLA will work towards its goals by:
- Nurturing relationships between Latin American students and people interested in Latin American culture.
- Welcoming incoming fellow Latin American students.
- Strengthening the Latin American community and its presence in Notre Dame.
Article III. MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Membership in OLA shall be opened to any interested undergraduate student at the University of Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s College and Holy Cross College .
Section 2: Notre Dame graduate students and Notre Dame faculty/ administrators may join the club as associative members. They may not vote or run for office.
Article IV. MEMBERSHIP FEES
Section 1: All members must pay an annual membership fee of $5.00 due to the Club Treasurer no later than September 15.
Section 2: Members joining between September 15 and the end of the Fall semester must pay the $5.00 membership fee to the Club Treasurer by the second meeting they attend.
Section 3: Members joining in the spring semester must pay a $5.00 membership fee by the second meeting they attend.
Section 4: Members who are current on their dues payment shall be classified as “active” members.
Section 5: Associative members do not have to pay fees but may voluntary pay one.
Section 6: Active and Associative members will be entitled to participate in club activities.
Article V. OFFICERS
Section 1: The officers of “OLA” shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Activities Coordinator
Section 2: There will be a Freshman Representative position available as well. Nevertheless, the club can still function without it in the case that no one volunteers to fulfill this position.
Section 2: The creation of additional officers positions (e.g. Web Master) must be approved by a two-thirds vote of the active and associate membership and with the support of the advisor.
Section 3: Depending on the situation and activities, additional committees will be created and will have to be approved by a two-thirds vote of the active membership and with the support of the advisor.
Section 4: Only undergraduate students from the University of Notre Dame are eligible to be officers.
Section 5: The President and Vice-President must be an active member in their Junior or Senior year and must be native Latin Americans.
Section 6: The Treasurer and Secretary positions are open to all Junior and Senior active members.
Section 7: The Activities Coordinator position is open to all Junior and Sophomore active members.
Section 8: The Freshman Class Representative position is open to all Freshmen active members.
Section 8: The duties of the President shall include:
A. Coordinating two monthly meetings of the club.
B. Chairing all meetings of the club.
C. Calling emergency meetings.
D. Providing leadership to the club.
E. Working directly with the Club Advisor to ensure the club is operating within the expectations of the University.
F. Acting as the chief spokesperson of the club.
G. Establishing an effective relationship with the Club Coordination Council, Student Activities Office, and other University administrative departments.
Section 9: The duties of the Vice-president shall include:
- Assisting the President with the fulfillment of his/her duties
- Providing support for the development of club activities planned by the committees.
- Working with the Treasurer to establish budgets for committees which are created.
- Replacing the President in case of absence.
Section 10: The duties of the Treasurer shall include:
A. Keeping a record of all financial transactions.
B. Meeting with the Advisor on a regular basis to review account balances and financial transactions.
C. Preparing any and all budgets, financial budget requests/appeals, etc.
D. Working with the Vice-president to establish budgets for committees which are created.
E. Maintaining detailed membership records, including the amount of dues collected from each member.
F. Contacting members in case of unpaid dues.
Section 11: The duties of the Secretary shall include:
A. Keeping detailed minutes of all meetings and giving a copy to all officers and Advisor by the end of the week. This information will be available to other Club members upon request.
B. Coordinating the press relations and advertisement of the club, including, but not limited to: relations with The Observer, Scholastic Magazine, flyer/poster approval, and maintaining the Club's web page.
C. Ensuring that all changes of officers are reported to the appropriate University officials.
D. Communicating monthly and emergency meetings to club members.
Section 12: The duties of the Activities Coordinator shall include:
- Be in charge of coordinating all the activities planned for the year.
- Appointing directors of committees
- Work with Vice-president and Treasurer to establish budgets for all activities and committees that are created.
Section 13: The duties of the Freshman Class Representative shall include:
- Represent and be a voice for the freshman class in officer meetings.
Article VI: OFFICER ELECTION/IMPEACHMENT
Section 1: Elections for club officers shall be held in the second meeting of March and will serve a term beginning the first meeting of April to the last meeting of March of the next year. The time between elections and the first meeting of April shall serve as a transition period for new officers.
Section 2: Officer Elections will consist of the following three step process: 1. nominations, 2. elections, 3. run-off elections (if needed)
- Nominations - Nominations will be held the meeting prior to the scheduled date of elections. Any active club member may nominate a fellow club member to any of the club officer positions. Nominations will only be accepted during the meeting prior to elections. Candidates can be nominated for more than one position and they may nominate themselves for a position if another member does not nominate them.
- Elections - Elections will consist of each candidate speaking for up to five minutes, followed by up to three minutes of questions and answers from the club membership. Only active members present at the meeting shall cast a vote, and only these votes shall count toward the computation of the 50%+1 required margin for election to office. The order of elections shall be as follows: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Activities Coordinator.
- Run-Off Elections - In the event that no candidate receives at least 50%+1 of the vote of the currently active club members, a run-off election shall be held between the two candidates receiving the most votes
Section 3: In the event that an officer is judged to be deficient in his/her duties (as decided by a unanimous agreement of the four other club officers and advisor), he/she may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the club's membership. The Advisor shall keep track of the impeachment process so that the trial is fair and quick. Elections will be held immediately during the next meeting to replace that officer and will follow the procedures stated in Article VI, Section 2.
Section 4: In the case that the President is impeached or cannot continue his term, the Vice President will replace him and in the case that the Vice President does not want to replace him, there will be open elections for President following the procedures stated in Article VI, Section 2.
Section 5: In the event that any officer (except the President) cannot continue his term, he/she will have to notify the Advisor and elections will be held to find a replacement. The elections will follow the procedures stated in Article VI, Section 2.
Article VII: COMMITTEE DIRECTORS
Section 1: The Club Officers shall decide on an annual basis which committees need to be established in order to advance the club’s position and goals on campus.
Section 2: The Activities Coordinator will be in charge of appointing all Committee Directors no later than the second meeting of April. All appointments must be approved by a majority of Club officers
Section 3: All members may serve as Committee Directors.
Section 4: The duties of all Committee Directors shall include:
- Selecting members to serve on their respective committee.
- Coordinating and chairing committee meetings, as needed.
- Keeping all officers and Club Advisor informed of the plans and intentions of the committee.
- Getting to know University policies and procedures.
Article VIII: ADVISOR
Section 1 . The Club Officers shall unanimously agree upon and
appoint an advisor no later than the last meeting of March to serve a term from the first meeting of April to the last meeting of March of the next year.
Section 2. The Club Advisor must be a full-time Notre Dame
faculty member or administrator.
Section 3. The Club Advisor's duties shall include:
- Meeting with the club officers on a regular basis.
- Attending club meetings and club activities.
- Keeping informed of club issues and plans.
- Meeting with the Treasurer on a monthly basis to review account balances and financial transactions.
- Assisting with the implementation of an officer transition program.
- Serving as a link between the Club and the faculty/administration of the University.
Section 4. The Advisor shall not have voting rights.
Section 5. The Advisor shall have veto power over any decision made by the club which is in direct violation of University Policy. This authority shall be used only in circumstances where the club officers knowingly intend to violate University Policy.
Article IX. MEETINGS
Section 1 . The club shall meet once a month. The officers will get together once a month. A listing of meeting dates shall be established by the Club Officers. Members will be emailed one week prior to meetings and will be reminded one day before.
Section 2. Only active student members may vote at meetings.
Section 3 . The President of the club shall have the authority to call emergency meetings of the club. All officers must agree in advance to the emergency meeting and at least 24 hours notice must be provided to all active members by sending out both a voicemail and e-mail. The Club Secretary is responsible of communicating emergency meetings.
Article X. DISBURSEMENT OF FUNDS
Section 1. All disbursements of funds must be approved by the Treasurer and Advisor.
Section 2 . Reimbursement for expenditures will only be accepted for members who have retained an original, itemized receipt and a description of the expense incurred.
Section 3 . An expenditure that surpasses $100.00 must be approved by a majority of the Club Officers.
Section 4 . All financial transactions of the Club will be managed through the University of Notre Dame's accounting system, as determined by the Student Union Treasurer's Office.
Section 5. Only the Club Officers and the Club Advisor shall have the ability to charge expenses to the Club via the University's account charge system and shall inform the President before making any expediture.
Article XI. AMENDMENTS
Section 1. Amendments may be made to this Constitution at any time by a two-thirds vote of the active club membership.
Section 2 . Members interested in proposing amendments to the constitution must submit the proposed amendment to the President no later than eleven days before the Club's next meeting.
Section 3 . Any proposed amendment shall be accompanied by an explanation of why it would benefit the club.
Section 4 . The proposed amendment shall be presented via e-mail to the active club membership no later than five days before the meeting where the amendment will be debated and voted.
Section 5 . After receiving a two-thirds affirmative vote in favor on a constitutional amendment/revision, the President shall submit the amendment or revision in writing to the Student Activities Office for review or approval.
Section 6. Any proposed amendment may be vetoed by the Club Advisor if it conflicts with the University Policy or the purpose of the Club.