Pangborn Hall was named for Thomas and John Pangborn of Hagerstown, Maryland, who underwrote the construction of the hall. Pope Pius XII named Thomas Pangborn a Knight of Malta, Pope John XXIII dubbed him a Knight of Saint Gregory the Great, and in 1964 Pope Paul VI awarded the philanthropist the title of papal count. He was the only American to hold the honor at the time.
Pangborn Hall was originally constructed as temporary housing to help accomodate the influx of students who, with the help of the GI Bill, attended college in the 1950's. It is situated on the southwest edge of campus between the Rockne Memorial and Fisher Hall and it overlooks the University golf course. At the time of the hall's dedication in 1955, Pope Pius XII took the unusual step of imparting an Apostolic Blessing on the Pangborn brothers and the University.
In 1992 Pangborn became the eighth female residence hall, following Walsh (1972), Badin (1972), Breen Phillips (1973), Farley (1973), Lyons (1974), Lewis (1975, originally the residence for Sisters who were studying at the University), and Howard (1987). Cavanaugh Hall became a female residence hall in 1994.
Pangborn Hall's colors are purple and gree. Our mascot is the phox (fox) and the Pang (as it is fondly called) is home to the "Phoxest Ladies" on campus!