MATH 60210 BASIC ALGEBRA
Class Time: MWF 12:50--1:40, Pasq 116.
Instructor: Sam Evens
sevens at nd.edu
Office Hours: M 11:45--12:45 HH 222, W 1:50--2:40, HH 222,
and by appointment. You may email me or call (631-7165) to set up
appointments. If I am in my office, feel free to knock on the door
and see if I am available. You can also ask questions before, after, or during class.
- Course syllabus pdf file
- Web textbook: Robert B. Ash, Abstract Algebra: The Basic Graduate
year. Web Text at
- Serge Lang, Algebra, Revised 3rd edition, Springer-Verlag, on reserve
- Michael Artin, Algebra , Prentice Hall, on reserve
- D. Dummit and R. Foote, Abstract Algebra, Prentice Hall, on reserve.
- J. P. Serre, "Groupes finis" (in French)
- Midterm, tentatively set for Friday, September 27.
- Final is Tuesday, December 17, 8:00--10:00 am, in PASQ 116.
Assignments: Assignments with a date at the end are due on the date
specified. Assignments are either handouts or from Dummit and Foote or Ash
- Homework 1, Wed. 9-4, pdf file
- Homework 2, Wed. 9-11, pdf file
- Homework 3, Wed. 9-18, pdf file
- Homework 4, Wed. 9-25, pdf file
- Homework 5, Wed. 10-9, pdf file
- Homework 6, Wed. 10-16, pdf file
- Homework 7, Wed. 10-30, pdf file
- Homework 8, Wed. 11-6, pdf file
- Homework 9, Wed. 11-13, pdf file
- Homework 10, Wed. 11-20, pdf file
- Homework 11, Wed. 12-4, pdf file
- Homework 12, Wed. 12-11, pdf file
- Notes on linear algebra over an integral domain, used in proof
of classification of submodules of free finitely generated modules over
a principal ideal domain, pdf file
- Notes on free groups by A. Myasnikov,
- Notes on integral domains, for use in section 2.6 of the text, pdf file
- Notes on content of polynomials, for use in section 2.9 of the text, pdf file