MATH 60220 BASIC ALGEBRA
Instructor: Sam Evens
sevens at nd.edu
Office Hours: M 11:45--12:45 HH 222, We 5:10-6:00, HH 222,
and by appointment. You may email me or call (631-7165) to set up
- Course syllabus pdf file
- Web textbook: Robert B. Ash, Abstract Algebra: The Basic Graduate
year. Web Text at
- Serge Lang, Algebra, Revised 3rd edition, Springer-Verlag, on reserve
- Michael Artin, Algebra , Prentice Hall, on reserve
- D. Dummit and R. Foote, Abstract Algebra, Prentice Hall, on reserve.
- J. P. Serre, "Groupes finis" (in French)
Class Time: MWF 12:50--1:40, PASQ 102.
- Midterm, Wed, March 5, in-class with take-home part.
- Final, Tues May 6, 8-10 AM.
Assignments: Assignments with a date at the end are due on the date
specified. Assignments are either handouts or from Dummit and Foote or Ash.
Assignments from last semester are available at
- Homework 1, Wed. 1-22, pdf file
- Homework 2, Wed. 1-29, pdf file
- Homework 3, Wed. 2-5, pdf file
- Homework 4, Wed. 2-12, pdf file
- Homework 5, Wed. 2-19, pdf file
- Homework 6, Wed. 2-26, pdf file
- Homework 7, Wed. 3-26, pdf file
- Homework 8, Wed. 4-2, pdf file
- Homework 9, Wed. 4-9, pdf file
- Homework 10, Wed. 4-23, pdf file
- Homework 11, Wed. 4-30, pdf file
- Notes on linear algebra over an integral domain, used in proof
of classification of submodules of free finitely generated modules over
a principal ideal domain, pdf file
- Notes on Smith normal form for a matrix