>> Student Accounts General Information
FAQ's for International Student Account Payments
What is the preferred way to pay my student account balance if my family lives outside of the United States?
The most efficient payment process for an international student to pay student account charges is through Western Union’s Bank to Bank Transfer. This option allows you to pay your student account billed in U.S. dollars in the currency of your choice (limited to the currencies in the Western Union system). International students can choose to make a payment to Notre Dame by selecting the International Student Accounts Payment option on the Student Accounts website.
What are the advantages of using the Western Union Bank to Bank Transfer option?
Western Union's Bank to Bank Transfer provides the following benefits:
- You make payment in the currency of your choice (limited to the currencies in the Western Union system). This amount is then converted to U.S. dollars and applied to your Notre Dame student account.
- There are NO transaction charges from Western Union or Notre Dame, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
- The exchange rate quote is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated.
- The exchange rate is competitive when compared to your financial institution's retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the transaction is initiated as a local transfer.
- Payments include your reference information to ensure your payment reaches your Notre Dame student account quickly, typically two to five business days after your bank initiates payment.
How quickly do I need to take my exchange rate quote to my local bank?
The exchange rate quoted will remain valid for 72 hours from the time you select "submit." The time will be indicated on the payment instructions you receive. During this time, you or the payer must take the banking instructions to your bank, which will initiate the transfer of funds through Western Union for payment to Notre Dame. Western Union must receive your payment within 72 hours of your receipt of the applicable currency quote.
What happens if I bring the quote to my bank after the 72 hour time frame?
After 72 hours, the exchange rate listed on your quote will no longer be valid. You will need to go online to initiate a new quote.
How much am I able to send?
The amount being transferred to Notre Dame should be for tuition, fees and other charges on your student account. Tuition and fee charges are billed in accordance with the academic terms (fall/spring/summer, if applicable) and are expected to be paid in a timely manner. Refer to IRISHPAY for the most current balance on your student account. Should an amount in excess of the balance due be transferred to the student account, creating a valid credit balance, our office will follow the standard Refund Policy.
Who do I call if I have a question?
For general inquiries about the payments process, please contact Western Union at email@example.com or call 877-218-8829.
For questions regarding your Notre Dame student account, please use the information below.