Research Experience for High School Students (REHS)
Part of the mission of Notre Dame is to become a preeminent research university. Our renowned faculty encourages talented high school students to experience and participate in research with them on campus during the summer. Research Experience for High School Students is available from May 20 – August 2, 2013.
Those students interested in doing research at Notre Dame should follow the steps below.
1. Apply with appropriate department.
- Apply and receive acceptance to do research with College of Science or appropriate department.
Some of the participating departments:
- Complete forms required by department.
2. Apply/Register with Summer Session Office.
- Fill out registration/application form for Summer Session at http://summersession.nd.edu/apply_application.html. Click here for more detailed instructions.
- Once you have filled out and return appropriate forms to your admitting department, they will provide you with the appropriate course registration number and number of credits. Please include this information with your online registration/application for the Summer Session
- All high school students must submit a statement of research on their application regarding 1) What department they will be working with, 2) what specific professor, and 3) a concise statement of about the nature of their research work.
- Receive confirmation email with Notre Dame ID number from the Office of the Summer Session.
3. Activate NetID and Password.
- Requires Notre Dame ID number (only provided from the Office of the Summer Session)
- If you encounter problems activating your NetID, please the Office of the Summer Session at email@example.com or (574) 631-7282 to verify that your account has been created and is ready for activation.
4. Obtain Student ID.
- Visit Card Services in the 1 South Dining Hall (lower level of the north entrance)
Things to note:
- REHS students will not be able to register for their research course through the Summer Session registration/application until all forms are filled out and returned to their admitting department. Without proper registration/application through the Summer Session, REHS students cannot obtain a Student ID.
- REHS students cannot participate in sponsored events by Student Activities, are not eligible to live on campus, and are not eligible to purchase meal plans from Card Services. University administrators and faculty members communicate with students via their Notre Dame email address. Please check your email account on a regular basis. You can set up your Notre Dame email account at https://www.google.com/a/nd.edu/.