Research and Training Links: IACUC Training
If you plan to work with vertebrates of any kind, you must be in compliance with the federal and university regulations that govern the care and use of these animals. IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee) is the regulating body for this type of work. This is a one-time training program--once you are in compliance, you do not need to renew every year. The web based training is available at www.aalaslearninglibrary.org. This training site offers Free Courses to all public users. Please follow the instructions below to ensure your training is documented.
To complete basic IACUC training:
1. Contact V. Schroeder at Schroeder.firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
Name (First, Last, Middle Initial)
UND ID (ex. jdoe3)*
UND email address*
PI lab (ex. Dr. Rex Arthur)
*Non-Notre Dame students need only provide full name and current e-mail address
2. Login and temporary passwords will typically be assigned within 3 business days. You may change your password. DO NOT change your login in ID
3. Your login ID and password will be sent to the email address you provide. This ID is specific to you. All modules accessed with your login will be scored and attributed to you. No one can receive credit or document training except the individual listed on the account.
4. Training documentation will be accessible to the IACUC, Training Coordinator and individual account holder.
5. The IACUC will verify training when animal use protocols and personnel amendments are reviewed.
Once you have your Login and Password you are ready to start your training. Below are instructions to guide you through the online training program:
1. Go to www.aalaslearninglibrary.org
2. Enter your Login and Password
3. First Time User Instructions:
A. Select Personal Access on the right of the screen.
B. Select Change Login.
C. Change password to something you can remember. DO NOT change your User name!
E. Select My Profile
F. This may be partially completed. Make changes for accuracy.
4. Select from the menu bar Libraries: Animal Care and Use Courses. Courses are by category. Select All Courses.
5. Select the category and then the specific course(s) as dictated by animal use.
Required of all persons in UNDERC courses::
Regulatory and IACUC Compliance: Working with the IACUC
Introduction to Research Animal Methodologies: Introduction to Amphibians
6. After selecting the course you will see a screen listing the table of contents for the course. Go to the bottom of the page and select “course”. You are now at the course index. The course menu is on the Left side of the screen. Begin by selecting 1. Introduction.
7. View all lessons and complete all practice questions( menu at bottom of page). These will appear on the final exam.
8. Generate the final exam. Read all instructions carefully. Some questions have multiple correct answers.
9. Take and submit the final exam. You will get instant notification of your score along with Pass/Fail notification.
Forgotten Login and Password Recovery: Should you forget your login or password, contact V. Schroeder at Schroeder.email@example.com. Your login and password will be emailed to you at the email address provided at registration. If you need assistance or have any question, please contact Valerie Schroeder by email, or call 631-6087 or visit Freimann Life Science Center room 400.
Researchers/Principle Investigartors/Student Mentors:
All research involving live vertebrate animals must be reviewed and approved YEARLY by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee prior to the initiation of the research and before a research award can be accepted. The IACUC meets monthly during the academic year and at least once during the summer. IACUC Protocol Form
Habitats: grasslands, montane forest, and streams