Department of Sociology
The University of Notre Dame.
He is the author of:
John Stuart-Glennie, Karl Jaspers, and a New Understanding of the Idea
(Palgrave Macmillan, 2014)
The Meaning of Things, coauthor with M. Csikszentmihalyi
(Cambridge University Press, 1981) an enlarged version of Halton's dissertation
Also in German, Italian, Japanese and Hungarian translations
And coeditor, 2019:
First Nation Know-How for Global Flourishing
Edited by Darcia Narvaez, Four Arrows, Brian Collier, Eugene Halton, and Georges Enderle.
New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
And selected additional publications
* See Halton interviewed by Gerry Fialka on YouTube, Innerviews #142, September 30, 2022.
* Video from Author Meets Critics Session on Halton's book, From the Axial Age to the Moral Revolution, sponsored by
The Karl Jaspers Society of North America in conjunction with the 92nd Annual Meeting of the American Philosophical Society,
Pacific Division, San Diego, March 31, 2018.
* Listen to Halton speaking at the Kansas City Public Library: Kansas City Public Library, January 8, 2009
* Listen to Halton on WCUR Kansas City's The Walt Bodine Show: Walt Bodine Show Archives, January 8, 2009
* Hear Halton on the National Public Radio show The Connection, speaking with Tom Litton from the self storage
industry and host Dick Gordon on the theme of "Storing the Self," from August 25, 2003:
Print Media and Related
* Halton elected to Jersey Shore Athletic Club Hall of Fame Class of 2021
* An article on Halton by Bill Moor in the South Bend Tribune, Jumpin Gene Looks to New Heights After Retiring from Notre Dame
May 17, 2020.
* Halton interviewed by Brian Resnick of Vox on Why objects can be more meaningful gifts than experiences December 23, 2016.
* Halton's contribution, What Could Possibly Go Wrong? to wallethub.com debate on the theme of Will Donald Trump be a Good President? December 15, 2016
* Rockne on the Move. Money is no object when it comes to moving quarter of a million dollar football coach statues at Notre Dame for single games.
South Bend Tribune photo by Halton.
* Notre Dame Magazine, Winter "Lists" issue, 2015, Eugene Halton, 10 Signs the Apocalypse is Upon Us.
* A blog entry from September 28, 2011 on The Megapower Elite
* A blog entry from August 9, 2011 at Notre Dame Magazine on Where U At?
* Halton reading his poem Keystrokes at a 2011 poetry marathon sponsored by Artpost.
* An Op-ed on Swine or "NAFTA" flu from 2009, responding to Indiana Health officials: Recent op-ed on H1N1 flu leaves public ill-informed
* Read an essay from Notre Dame Magazine, "Spent," by John Monczunski, who visited Halton's class on materialism: Spent
* And another visit to the class by English actor Paul McCleary: British Actors Make the Classroom Their Stage
* And a short piece on Halton from The Bend Magazine, Fall, 2005: Jumpin' Gene
* From Jumpin' Gene's early high jumping and protest days, 40 years later, May, 2010: Tin Soldiers and Nixon Coming
* And an excerpt from a short interview with Halton by Andrew S. Hughes in The South Bend Tribune on When Stars Die
* You can read a brief biographical statement here about the American philosopher Charles Sanders Peirce,
the founder of pragmatism and the doctrine of signs known as semeiotic.
* And here is a
brief biographical sketch of Lewis Mumford , another American
original, who Malcolm Cowley called the last of the great humanists.
* Another brief statement is on Charles Morris , a philosopher associated with semiotics, pragmatics, and George Herbert Mead's work.
Halton has also performed blues harmonica internationally. Click here for info on and samples of Jumpin' Gene's music
Gene performing the tune Gene wrote, Big Bad Wolf, live with The Newports at the Acorn Theater in Three Oaks Michigan on November 27, 2021.
And the Muddy Waters classic, Got My Mojo Working live.
Interviewed on Jonny's Secret Stash, Radio Harbor Country, WRHC in Three Oaks, Michigan and WRHZ in Sawyer, Michigan. Episode 48 with Bill Bielby and Gene Halton of The Newports, November 26, 2021: Jonny's Secret Stash, Episode 48
Click for The Newports YouTube Channel
The Newports' Facebook page is: The Newports
And here's Jumpin' Gene performing at Buddy Guy's Legends in Chicago in 2008 with the legendary performer, The Tail Dragger: Don't Start me Talkin'
Gene's lyrics for the song "Smoke and Mirrors" appear on the Rockin’ Johnny Burgin CD, Neoprene Fedora, 2017.
Gene's lyrics for the song "Empty Bed Blues" appear on the Rockin’ Johnny Burgin CD, Greetings from Greaseland, released in 2015.
Gene's lyrics for the song "Tow Truck Man" appears on the Willie Buck CD on Delmark Records, released in 2012.
Email address is firstname.lastname@example.org