Lei Liu, Ph.D.
Dept. Electrical Engineering
University of Notre Dame
259 Fitzpatrick Hall
Welcome to the Terahertz Circuits and Systems Research Laboratory at the University of Notre Dame. We are a part of the Department of Electrical Engineering in the College of Engineering. This laboratory studies the electromagnetic waves in the frequency range of 0.1 to 10 THz (THz region). We investigate and develop advanced THz circuits and systems with superior performance and unique functionalities based on novel devices and materials, and apply our THz technologies to other important areas such as communication, radio astronomy, instrumentation, biological sensing, chemical spectroscopy, medical analysis, security, and defense.
THz Circuits and Systems Lab
· We have immediate graduate RA opening(s) on THz tunable/reconfigurable devices. Please contact us for application.
· 08/16/19 Student Yu Shi won the first place Best Student Paper Award at 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Conference on 5G in Atlanta for our paper on high performance optically-controlled mmW-THz RF switches.
· 06/05/19 Dr. Liu and team won the prestigious IEEE MTT-S THz Prize (IEEE Trans. THz Science & Technology Best Paper Award, IEEE TST, vol. 7, no.3, 2017) at 2019 IMS in Boston.
· 09/23/18 Dr. Liu gave an invited talk at the THz workshop at EuMC in Madrid, Spain. 07/18/18 Dr. Liu gave invited talk at Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
· 06/14/18 Dr. Liu served as a Session Co-Chair at 2018 IEEE IMS in Philadelphia, PA; 06/04/18 Dr. Liu delivered an invited talk at ShanghaiTech Workshop on Emerging Devices, Circuits and Systems.
· 05/07/18 Dr. Liu promoted to Associate Professor with tenure; 03/08/18 Dr. Liu elevated to IEEE Senior Member.
· 03/01/18 We are part of a NSF REU site - AWaRE of the Wireless Institute at ND.
· 01/15/18 We demonstrated high performance optically variable WR-4.3 modulator/attenuator with 0.7 dB insertion loss and 60 dB tuning range (paper accepted by IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters 02/09).
· 11/25/17 Our paper on G-band quasi-optical heterostructure backward diode detector accepted by IEEE Trans. On Microwave Theory and Techniques (IEEE MTT).
· 08/22/17 Two graduate research assistant (RA) positions are available (start from Spring 2018). We are looking for students with strong EM/microwave background, solid understanding in semiconductor devices, as well as intensive cleanroom experience. To apply, please contact Dr. Liu.
· 08/21/17 Lab receives NSF grant to support our research on programmable quasi-optical THz devices.
· 07/10/17 Our research on optically-controlled THz waveguide architectures funded by NSF.
· 06/27/17 Dr. Liu gave invited talk on optically-controlled tunable THz devices at NAECON, Dayton, OH, 2017.
· 02/28/17 Our paper on THz 2D beam steering and forming antennas accepted by IEEE Trans. On THz Sci. Technol. (IEEE TST).
· 02/15/17 Lab receives subcontract from Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics to develop high performance THz waveguide attenuators/modulators.
· 11/29/16 Our paper on advanced THz sensing and imaging systems based on III-V interband tunneling devices accepted by Proc. of the IEEE.
· 11/29/16 We investigated and demonstrated prototype optically-controlled THz waveguide attenuator/modulator with high performance (paper accepted by IEEE TST).
· 08/31/16 Dr. Liu gave invited talk on tunable/reconfigurable THz devices for advanced imaging and adaptive wireless communication at SPIE Optics + Phonics, San Diego, CA.
· 04/10/16 Dr. Liu gave invited talk at Nanjing University, Nanjing, China.
· 08/15/15 One graduate research assistant position for advanced THz sensing and imaging is available. Please contact us to apply (position filled).
· 08/01/15 Collaborative research on advanced (i.e., frequency-tunable and polarization-resolved) THz detectors and focal-plane arrays funded by NSF.
· 05/25/15 Dr. Liu served as a Session Co-Chair at 2015 IEEE IMS, in Phoenix, AZ.
· 02/25/15 Student Z. Jiang selected as a recipient of IEEE MTT-S Graduate Fellowship Award, Congratulations!
· 02/02/15 Student M. I. B. Shams’s paper accepted by 2015 IMS in Phoenix, AZ.
· 12/10/14 We demonstrated 750 GHz beam-steering and forming antennas for potential adaptive THz wireless communication and short-range interconnection.
· 11/20/14 We demonstrated antenna-coupled integrated HBD devices with record-high nonlinearity (i.e., curvature coefficient of –58V-1) for THz detection.
· 10/25/14 Dr. Liu selected to serve as a TPRC member for International Microwave Symposium (IMS).
· 07/28/14 Student S. Rahman’s IRMMW-THz paper on integrated 585 GHz HBD focal-plane arrays selected for invited keynote presentation. Congratulations!
· 06/10/14 Student M. I. B. Shams won AD&T Berry Family Foundation Fellowship. Congratulations!
· 02/07/14 Student Zhenguo Jiang’s paper accepted by 2014 IMS in Tampa, FL.
· 11/01/13 We demonstrated nearly real-time photo-induced THz coded-aperture imaging for tracking moving objects.
· 09/01/13 We demonstrated all-electronic tunable and reconfigurable THz circuit elements using reverse-biased varactor Schottky diodes (Invited paper in IET MAP).
· 05/01/13 500-750 GHz vector network analyzer (VNA) purchased. Potential collaborations are welcome.
· 02/10/13 Student Syed Rahman’s paper accepted by 2013 IMS in Seattle, WA.
· 01/15/13 Two projects for tunable and reconfigurable THz devices have been posted at ND NURF. $5,250 each will be awarded for 3 months summer research (deadline: 02/08/12). To apply, please click here.
· 12/10/12 Students’ (Zhenguo and Syed) paper won 2012 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC 2012) Student Prize (as advisor). Student’s paper (Berardi) won 2012 IRMMW-THz conference Best Student Paper Award (as co-advisor).
· 10/01/12 Two graduate research assistant positions (Microwave Engr., Electromagnetic Waves, Transmission Lines, Waveguides, Antennas, Semiconductor Devices, starting Spring and Fall 2013) are available. To apply, please contact Dr. Liu.
· 09/25/12 Dr. Liu gave invited keynote talk at IRMMW-THz in Wollongong, Australia.
· 04/24/12 Collaborative research on THz coded-aperture imaging using graphene modulators funded by NSF.
· 01/16/12 Two THz projects for NDnano NURF program have been posted. $5,000 each will be awarded for 3 months summer research (deadline: 02/17/12). To apply, please click here.
· 01/12/12 New course EE47013 (also EE 67047) Microwave and THz Circuits, Components and Systems open for registration.
· 04/10/11 One graduate research assistant position for THz mixers/receivers is available. Please contact us to apply (Position filled).
· 02/11/11 Two THz projects for NDnano Undergraduate Research Fellowships (NURF) program have been posted. $5,000 each will be awarded for 3 months summer research (deadline: 02/11/11). To apply, please click here (Positions filled).
· 08/01/10 Two graduate research assistant positions for developing THz focal-plane imaging arrays are available. To apply, please contact us (Positions filled).
Demonstration of Photo-Induced THz CAI Approaching Real-Time Performance.
High Performance Optically Variable WR-4.3 Modulator/Attenuator with 60dB Range and 0.7 dB Insertion Loss.
Mesa Array Structures for Advanced THz Sensing, Imaging and Communication.