Math 30530 - Introduction to Probability
General course arrangements: here
Final exam: here
Concourse was used for distributing all other information for this course. Below is an archive of the course material.
Course archive (bare bones)
Midterm exams: (with full solutions unless specified)
Supplementary material: A slide show on B.H. Brown's Friday the 13th theorem.
Homework instructions: Homework assignments will be announced on this page most Fridays and will be due at the beginning of class the following Friday. Each assignment will involve some reading and some problems. Some of the problems will be optional; these won't be graded, but I encourage you to think about them when you have finished the regulsr homework, and you may certainly talk about them in office hours.
Presented assignments should be neat and legible, and contain a cover page with your name,
the course number, the assignment number and the due date. The pages of the assignment must be stapled together. The grader reserves the right to leave
ungraded any assignment that is disorganized, untidy or incoherent. No
late assignments will be accepted.
It is permissible (and encouraged) to discuss the assignments with
your colleagues; but the writing of each assignment must be done on your own. Unless a problem requires minimal work, you should show your work for each problem.
Homework assignments: (solutions are all together below the list of assignments)
- Week 12: (due *Wednesday*, December 9) Read Chapter 11 Section 1, 2 and 5 and do the following exercises.
- Page 465: A1, A3, A8, A9, A13, A15, A19
- Page 474: A1, A3, A10, A11, A15
- Page 506: A3, A7, B13
- Week 11: (due *Wednesday*, December 2) Read Sections 8.2, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 and do the following exercises.
- Page 339: A1, A3, A6, A11, A13, A15, B22
- Page 412: A4, A5, B11
- Page 424: A2, A3, A7, A14, A15, A19, B27
- Page 433: A2
- Week 10: (due *Monday*, November 16) Read Sections 7.4 and 8.1 and do the following exercises.
- Page 296: A1, A3, A4, B8(a), B9
- Page 325: A1, A3, A6, A8, A9, A11, A12, A15, A16 (Optional: B22, B25)
- Week 9: (due *Monday*, November 9) Read Sections 6.2 (up to Example 6.5), 6.3 (not Theorem 6.2 or proof
of Theorem 6.3), 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3, and do the following exercises.
- Page 245: A1, A2, A5
- Page 254: A5, A9, B11 (Optional: B17, B18)
- Page 266: A3, A5, A10
- Page 281: A1, A5, A9, A15, A23, B33
- Page 290: A1, A5, A9 (Optional: B15)
- Week 8: (due Friday, October 30) Read Sections 5.3 and 6.1 and do the following exercises.
- Page 224: A3, A5, A7, A9, A12, A15, A17, B22 a), b), B27 (Optional: B28)
- Page 238: 1, 3, 7, 9
- Week 7: (due Friday, October 16) Read Section 5.2 and do the following exercises.
- Page 211: A1, A5, A7, A9, A11, A15, A17, B19
- Addition to week 6: (due Friday, October 9) These problems are from Section 4.3, from which I accidentally neglected to
assign problems in the original week 6 assignment.
- Page 157: A1, A4, A11 (Optional: B15)
- Week 6: (due Friday, October 9) Read Sections 4.4, 4.5, 4.6 and 5.1 and do the following exercises.
- Page 173: A2, A3, A5 (a ``fair game'' is one in which the expected payoff is 0), A9, A11 (Optional: B16, B17)
- Page 182: A1, A3, A5 (Optional: B11, B12)
- Page 185: 1 (from ``Exercises'' rather than ``review problems'')
- Page 196: A1, A3, A8, A11, A15, A19, B26 (Optional: A22, B33)
- Week 5: (due Friday, October 2) Read Sections 3.5 and 4.1-4.3 and do the following exercises.
- Page 119: A2, A3, A4, A5, A11, A13, A17, A23, A29 (Optional: A9)
- Page 150: A1, A3, A5, A7, A11
- Week 4: (due Friday, Sept 25) Read Sections 3.2-3.5 and do the following exercises.
- Page 87: A1, A5, A7, B9
- Page 96: A1, A3, A9, B21 (Optional: A10, B22)
- Page 105: A1, A3, A9, A11, A12 (Optional: B14)
- Week 3: (due Friday, Sept 18) Read Sections 2.4-2.5 and 3.1 and do the following exercises.
- Page 63: A3, A5, A9, A11, A16, A22, A29, B41 (Optional: A20, B34, B38, B49, B51)
- Page 71: A1
- Page 82: A5, A8, A9, A13, A17
- Week 2: (due Friday, Sept 11) Read Sections 1.5-1.7, 2.1-2.3 and do the following exercises.
- Page 34: A1, A3, A4, B8 (optional: B12, B13)
- Page 44: A1, A3, A7, A8, A13, A21
- Page 50: A1, A3, A5, A9, A11, A15, A20 (optional: B27)
- Week 1: (due Friday, Sept 4) Read Sections 1.1-1.4 and do the following exercises.
- Page 9: A1, A4, A5, A7, A13 (optional: B17, B20)
- Page 23: A3, A5, A7, A10, A16, A18, A22 (optional: B28)
Homework solutions: (mostly from the solution manual)